Thursday, October 9, 2008

Flightless Bird, American Mouth

I have been talking politics lately- I assume so have you all. I am kind of thrown back because I have heard this comment over and over "I don't think I will vote because I can't decide, and my vote doesn't matter anyway." Trying to contain myself, I listen politely and shake my head; however, now that I have a blog, I am throwing it all on the table.

Three HUGE issues with that comment:

1. Indecision: Sure, we all face it everyday. My political views change too, but that shouldn't stop anyone from voting. Where is the sense in that? You have approx a month to form a solid opinion.





2. Actually Voting: Some people don't vote because they think it is too task intensive. Register. Take time from work to go. Pick up a pencil. Mark your chosen candidate. Yes, you are lamo, if you are complaining. Register now- so you don't freak out the day off.



3. My vote doesn't really matter: You may be right in the big scheme, but your vote matters to you. How can anyone sit back and do nothing? It reminds me of Andy from the office "Andy Bernard does not lose contests. He wins them. Or he quits them because they're unfair."


In summation, you have lost all credibility in my book if you complain about how things are and do nothing to help. Give the bird back it's flight, use your American mouth.

5 comments:

Brinn said...

Amen sister. Love this post. I too want to scream inside, and then maybe shake the person a little bit, when I hear these things. Women have fought sooooo hard for the right to vote, so we are doing us and them a huge disservice if we don't take advantage of that gift. And not just women, men too. I personally cringe when I hear people complaining about the government leaders when in fact they didn't even take the time to vote! How bizarre, how bizarre, how bizarre.

stacie said...

Yes. I get so upset with people when they complain all day long and then don't even vote or use their voices in a constructive way.

Heather said...

Love that last sentence. ;)

Thanks for sending me the Rock Your Vote link...

Leatha said...

I concur. I wish I could take part in this historic election and I can't....so thanks for doing your part in encouraging the people who can to do so.

Christine said...

Hey Stacie! I'm glad I found your blog. I so totally agree with you. I get so mad when I hear people say that they have never voted and they don't plan to this time. In fact, I just heard a girl say it today. Way to voice your opinion.