Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sunshine Vitamin


Vitamin D is one of the only vitamins produced naturally by the body. However, in order for the body to produce vitamin D, it has to be exposed to an adequate amount of sunlight.

Researchers have long known that the "sunshine vitamin" boosts bone strength by encouraging the body to absorb calcium. But a slew of new studies published in 2007 suggests that the vitamin has a lot of other benefits: Diets high in D may ward off diabetes, gum disease and multiple sclerosis and even cancer.

Info found: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/top10/article/0,30583,1686204_1686252_1690393,00.html

5 comments:

Becky Foster said...

AMEN! We need to get at least 15 minutes of sunshine (best the first hour that the sun is up), 'cause it will do wonders! Good post Stace!

Leatha said...

So true...I didn't get into my usual January funk this year, because I was here instead of under the gray Utah skies.

Marianne said...

I LOVE Vitamin D! I used to get horrible stomach aches about once every month and ever since I have started taking Vitamin D (because I'm not much of a sun junkie) I haven't had one--for over six months!

Jed and Stacey said...

I miss the sun...! It really is insane what it does for you!

The Breese Family said...

I could use a little right now! Hasn't this week been fantastic?