Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sweet Baby James

April's pregnancy flew by so fast. I hardly prepped myself for this birth. About a week before baby James came, I talked with April about her wants, wishes, and fears. In preparation for this birth, she took a hypno-birthing class. She seemed pleased with the class and believed in the principles. I concluded a few things after our talk, she was flexible with her birth plan and not totally convinced that natural childbirth was a reality for her. Her energies were more focused on what to do with two children, because one way or another, she was going to have two children soon! I admire her wisdom and priorities. Inside with my thoughts, I wanted her to have a natural childbirth experience because I knew she wanted it!

 April opted to get started on pitocin to avoid going over and/or having an enormous baby. She started around 7 a.m. I got there around 9:30 a.m. Dialation was slow but contractions were coming steadily. When I walked into the room, I knew April was totally present. She was assertive, confident, and calm. I have always known April to be confident, but then and there, she was more. April asked questions and was responsible and engaged. The nurse was awesome to work with. She was very knowledgable and supportive of natural childbirth. I knew that no matter what happened, we had a winning team and April was in good hands.

For the first few hours we sat around. I rubbed her feet, we played cards (I lost everytime), and we talked. Also present, was Brett (husband), Mom, and sisters. There was a lot of support and good energy in the room. April led the way, the team was synergistic and open minded with every milestone.

Finally the decision came, should her waters be broken or remain in tact? It was decided to break them since she was on the highest dose of pitocin, and not opening as fast as expected. After her waters were released, labor started coming on strong. There was no turning back. The dosage of pitocin was immediatley halved and then halved again. Her body took over and knew exactly what to do.

With all of the pairs of hands, we were able to use counter pressure on every surge. Also, our hands were there to serve, comfort, and love April throughout the time in between surges. All too soon, it was time to push. She made it! Within a few moments of pushing, baby James flew out!

It is amazing to know the nature of a baby when he/she arrives. We all knew James was happy, calm, loveable, and beautiful. He hardly cried except when roughed up by the staff. Breastfeeding was established easily and almost immediately.

I was most touched when April's other son, Luke, came to meet baby James with Grandpa. I watched April as her heart grew. Sometimes, it seems like the heart isn't capable of more love and then it is. The love radiated beyond the walls of our hospital room. As I observed, I was reminded again of the powerful combination of family and love. Nothing can touch that.

Congratulations again to April, the woman, mother, and dear friend.

5 comments:

Brinn said...

beautiful birth story, beautiful family, beautifully written! Thanks for sharing Stace!

Becky Foster said...

Love this. You write so well Stace! April's a rock star.

April said...

Thanks for writting this Stace! I loved hearing it from your perspective. I seriously couldn't have done it with out you Stace! I think you've found one of your callings in life. Thanks for everything! Love ya!

Heather said...

Congrats to April and her family! Sounds like it was an amazing experience!

Keyvan, Esther, and Eve said...

Of course, the last paragraph made me cry :)