Monday, July 19, 2010

Summertime Camping

I went camping on Saturday with Melissa. We got my favorite spot! I was so pleased. Usually when I go camping, I tag along with an outdoorsy master. I don't lift a finger to help with fires, food, tents, and the like. Not to speak for Meliss, but she's the same--we just hang out and let the experts do all the work. However, this was totally different. We did it all!! It was all fine until the sun went down and we killed the last of the orange embers. It was pitch black. I brought some fine reading material with me. All three volumes-mind you! Needless to say, I was totally spooked. Suddenly all sounds were threats lurking outside of our tent. Luckily, I fell asleep at some point.  In the morning as we were enjoying breakfast and building another fire, we encountered upon a visitor. He was friendly. I was doing most of the talking until he asked this question: "Did you guys drop a litter over there?" My face fell as I was thinking about what he just asked. It could have meant two different things: Did I drop off a litter of kittens? or Did I go to the bathroom over there? The answer to both of these questions is "Yes, but not over there and none of your business!" Melissa, picking up on my loss for words, replied to his question with "No, we haven't dropped a lure. We didn't bring our poles. What types of fish are in the river?" Saved! and WTF!! I felt like an idiot. Oh well. Later, when I explained my inner monologue to Melissa, we were laughing and laughing and laughing.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Stacie, you crack me up. :) I'm glad Melissa was there to save the day. Hehehehe.

Becky Foster said...

Ha Ha!!!! I love this story, and everything that happened.

The Olsons said...

Oh, I miss you. And I remember reading those Scary Stories books. I love that you have ALL THREE! So funny! Did you see any bears? I hear they are all over up the canyon right now. I'm sure they will do something about it once somebody gets killed.