Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Trip to Michigan

Top 10 Highlights:

10. Mr. Scribb's Pizza: Chewy cheese. Tasty. Not as good as I remembered, but still delicious

9. Whippy Dip ice cream: Specifically the black and white cone and turtle.

8. Driving the rental car: I have never driven in Muskegon before and it helped me get to know the area really fast.

7. Docks and channels: We like to watch the big ships go through the channel. Actually so does everyone else. Surprisingly, there are people who sit in their cars and watch the ships for hours.

6. Checking out the real estate: We drove through the town looking for 'for sale' signs. This was a daily activity for us. Our relatives want to lure us into moving to Michigan :) Also, as a whole, our family is curious. Who doesn't want to know what every house in the town looks like on the inside? Prices are incredibly cheap! As Lori would say, "they are giving away houses." Lori found a decent house for $5,000 in the heights (rough neighborhood). Who knows what the interior looks like, but the real estate agent said that she has sold houses for as low as $2,000 in the heights. OUTRAGEOUS!

5. The blue tube: We found a tube on the beach. The last day we were there, I saw the owners deflating it. I wonder what they thought when they saw us using their tube everyday??? It was great though!

4. Blueberry picking: I love blueberries. They were beautiful this year. Some were seriously as big as quarters. The nice thing about picking berries yourself is that you get to eat as many as you want while picking them :) Lucky for me I found wild raspberry bushes too. I ate my fair share of berries for the week.

3. Duck Lake Channel: My favorite spot. Duke lake is usually really warm, calm, and clear. I love to float on my back. It is so fun to spread out on the lake and not get crushed by a wave. Although, don't get me wrong I love that too. The channel flows into Michigan Lake so I can get some waves too.

2. Aunt Elka: Elka lives in Indiana, in a gorgeous beach house on Michigan lake. Its the southern tip of the lake. Translation: significantly warmer water than in Muskegon. She and my Uncle Fuzz designed their beach house. It is really big and spacious because Fuzz was in a wheel chair toward the end. The house also has an elevator which was a hit with the kids. It was my first time there. I could tell that my dad really enjoyed being the house and visiting with Elka. The last time my dad went to Michigan was for Fuzz's funeral. The house has a lot of fun memorabila from their last house. Elka is really fun, relaxed, and social. She is the cool Aunt everybody wishes they had :)

1. Hanging out with my family: bbqs, lunches, drives, boat rides, beach days, bon fires, exploring the town days, visiting, laughing SOOOOO much, remembering, and loving each other.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yep, you pretty much summed it all up! It was a fun time! And I think we all got our fair share of berries for the week. ;)

Marianne said...

Sounds like fun!