Saturday, May 23, 2009

10 most embarrassing massage questions

I found these questions and decided to answer them myself:
(http://inner-harmony.gaia.com/blog/2009/2/10_embarrassing_massage_questionsand )

1. Do I have to take off my underwear?

YES (just kidding). Your comfort is the most important thing. But honestly it makes it a little easier sometimes with garments.

2. Do I tip the therapist?

YES Leave a tip. Even if your strapped for cash. Utah is known for being terrible tippers. Law of karma- it will come back to you

3. What happens if I sleep and drool or snor?

Its totally okay. Sometimes its nice when people sleep:)

4. Will the massage therapist be in the room when I take off my clothes?

NO you are in the room alone. Once I asked someone if they were ready for me to come into the room and they said 'uh huh', but he/she actually said 'nu uh' and I saw some nakedness. Lesson: be clear or you might have a similar experience

5. What if I get an erection?

It does happen. Believe me it is uncomfortable for both parties. I would like to think it is controllable, but I have been told otherwise. So, basically what really happens is we both ignore the elephant in the room.

6. If the massage is too soft or too hard should I speak up?

YES speak up! I am not a mind reader

7. If I am self conscience about an area can I tell the therapist not to massage there?

YES most people are embarrassed. We are a society that is so afraid and uncomfortable with our bodies: blemishes, fat, hair, scars, etc.. I have seen it all and you don't need to be embarrassed, but speak up if you don't want to be touched somewhere.

8. What if I fart?

Once again, it happens. It is really embarrassing. Side note- I had a client that couldn't hear and I used fart all the time while massaging him/her. So sometimes your therapist does it too.

9. Do I talk to the therapist or stay silent?

It doesn't matter. Usually excessive chatting is a sign of nervousness. My rule is that I will chat back, but I don't encourage chatting because this is your time.

10. How do I know if my therapist is legitimate?

Most therapists have his/her license displayed in the office somewhere. If not, you can request the license number ahead of time- its public info at dopl.gov

Does anyone have any embarrassing questions that weren't covered?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Good post. Those really are questions I have thought of. Good to know. It sounds like massage therapists and doctors have a lot of the same problems. Undressing, wondering if your body is different from someone elses, wondering if you are "normal".

Beth Soelberg said...

I've only had one massage, from someone I'd just met, but I was instantly comfortable with her...so it was okay that I was undressed. Luckily (for her) I'd shaved my legs. :)

mj said...

ha ha ha. man i miss seeing you once a year. i hope you are doing well.
MJ