Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Old Maid Sprink Break 2009

Meliss and I went to CA last Wednesday and got back yesterday. We went last minute because our house is under construction. Luckily Meliss is from Cali so it all worked out. We called it 'old maid spring break 2009' because technically being a single female in mid twenties in Utah county makes us old maids.

Top 10 Highlights of trip:

1. Karaoke-ing to Cher's "Believe" on the way there. Thank you Orem Public Library.
2. Sleeping at Grandpa's cabin overlooking Lake Tahoe (Melissa's grandpa). There is a HUGE bath tub which took about 45 mins to fill and a sauna. You can only imagine my pure enjoyment.
3. La Panchitas. Nice mexican joint with yummy-HOT salsa
4. San Francisco: Thrift store on 16th and market a must!, smelling Eucalyptus trees on the way to Baker beach, watching the sunset and collecting rocks along the shoreline, Lombard street, and artsy alley ways.
5. Meeting Meliss's grandpa. His house/land is connected to a Native American burial site. He showed us Indian artifacts found on the land. Also, he showed us an old handcrafted oven in his back yard made by an Italian- which had brand new baby birds inside of it- the birds were hairless. We ate lunch, and then got black and white ice cream cones from a dairy. It was nice to be around grandparents again....
6. The Cat in the Hat play. Melissa's little sis was the cat in her high school play. She was the best!!
7. Lounging around the house, eating lemons from trees, watching home videos, laughing, eating food. etc.
8. Rolling hills full of California poppies and purple flowers. Beautiful.
9. Meeting Melissa's family- virtually every family member (extended included). I can't remember the last time all of my siblings were together let alone extended.
10. On the way home I was in and out of sleep. I felt possessed--I had no sleep control. Poor Melissa drove home 3 p.m to 4 a.m. Every now again I would look over and she would be jamming out to John Mayer. hahaha.

It was nice to get away even if only for a few days. Thanks goodness for warm weather, family and friends, flowers, oceans, thrift stores, and road trips!!!

p.s. pics may be coming later

p.p.s many thanks and praises to Heather for a cute blog.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow...sounds like you two had a fun and crazy time together! I wish I could have been there! Maybe next time...

Becky Foster said...

First of all, super cute blog and pic, so good job Heather. Second, wow! Super fun!!!! I'm so glad that you and Melissa went to Cali. Sounds like it was loads of fun. Oh, and someone's having a birthday very soon!

Melissa said...

Your blog is a delight! The trip was awesome - I like the list. I'm glad you got to meet my people. I am also glad that you are the best personal shopper one could ask for. If we do ever part we have to get together at least once a year so you can find me some treasures. I will pay for your services with a black and white cone with my Grandpa. (well my Grandpa would probably pay for it I guess)