Wednesday, May 12, 2010

sitting, waiting, wishing, philosophizing





Here I am in Tex.As. I am here to be a birthing doula for Becky and Johnny. We are waiting for baby Foster girl to come.   I have never lived with a woman waiting to have a baby before now. As a birthing doula, (and keep in mind I am new to all of this) I check in every other day or so and then continue on my little way.  It is quite different when this anxiousness is a constant. We aren't desperate, at least I don't feel like we are. We have researched a few ways to induce labor naturally. We've also tried a few methods:  Walking, massage, spicy food, and essential oils. This whole sitting, waiting, wishing cycle has got me thinking about life in general. Sometimes it is good to wait. Sometimes there is more than one participating factor or person involved in your life experiences.

I want to talk more about these 'sometimes': Waiting is a tiresome act. It is a conscious effort to keep spirits high when waiting. When waiting turns into worry, the mind tends to tip toward negativity. In the scenario of childbirth, it seems counterproductive to fret for a few reasons. First and foremost, the inevitable, the baby will come out of you eventually- maybe not vaginally but eventually. Also, when the mind is relaxed the body will relax. When the body is relaxed, it will open up. Furthermore, any emotions you create, your baby is experiences them.

However, this all easier said than done. We live in a now society. Modern society created due dates. And if you haven't had your baby by its due date, take the baby out.  Which foreshadows my next 'sometime', we aren't the only participants in our childbirth timing. Believe it or not, the baby is an active participant. Babies intuitively know what to do. They get into the correct position, release the right hormone, and prepare to shimmy on down the birth canal. Not only that, but the whole universe is an active participant in your life, childbirth included. 

Science and birth rates have proven that more babies are born on the full moon than any other time of the month. Also, the lowest percentages of births happen around the new moon. These charts have been calculated for hundreds of years, from all over the world, and are all showing the same results. Coincidence, no! Like I said, believe it or not. I am not here to tell any 10 month pregnant woman not to get induced and not to get crazy anxious. I am here to say sometimes.


Sometimes it is best to wait. Sometimes it is best accept, acknowledge, and embrace your part. Sometimes does not mean a lot or a little- it has no measurement. Sometimes is not God's decision because sometimes is a congregation of factors, free will, and universal laws. This isn't a post about opinions, it is an observation about sometimes. Sometimes, a lot of things.....

4 comments:

Heather said...

Sometimes...you say all the right things.

Sometimes...you really get me thinking.

Sometimes...you make a valid point.

Sometimes...you are just so interesting.

:)

Good luck with the waiting! I know how hard it can be...sometimes.

p.s. I enjoyed your post.

Marianne said...

Hang in there!

April said...

I can't believe that she hasn't had her baby yet!!! I'm dying for her! There is waiting and then there is WAITING!!! Maybe your heading to the hospital right now:) I'm reading the hypnobirthing book and it pretty much say's what you just said. I agree that sometimes baby's just cook longer than others:) Hang in there!!!

stacie said...

Not at the hospital yet. We have an appt today. They will monitor the baby. We thought last night could've been the night, but alas here we are! I am reading the hypnobirthing book too. I should have read in full by now, but I am slow...