Monday, April 4, 2011

My Hair After One Month of NO Shampooing

Leah, my grape friend, inspired me to stop shampooing my hair. After reading this blog and some additional online research, I was in both feet. For a month now I have been washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing it with either cold water or vinegar and essential oils. I do this every 2-3 days.

I have noticed that I have more body and that I spend less time encouraging the wavy locks because I have more curl. Yesterday Heather, my sister, told me that I had flakes in my hair, but I am convinced it was baking soda residue, as I don't have any flakes today.

The benefits of washing with baking soda as opposed to shampoo are as follows: Most shampoo is poisonous (fragrance, parabens, and SLS), most shampoo strips hair of it's natural oils causing hair to get oily and greasy the day after shampooing, and shampoo is packaged in plastic bottles so I am eliminating my consumption of two plastic bottles per month.

I am not really sure how to capture my hair- I got a new touch phone and every time I take a picture it's blurry. I figured this picture would be proof enough that my hair is still awesome- if not more so.  April, my hair care professional, told me that my hair looks very healthy.


This experiment has not been all sugar and sweets. I have had several days of my hair looking greasy and not cooperative to styling techniques. It takes a few weeks for your natural oils to balance. Because I was shampooing for nearly my entire life, I figured it is only reasonable that my hair might require some time to get used to baking soda and it's natural oils. If you are not willing to give your hair 2-3 weeks of adjustment time, then don't use baking soda. If, however, your patience and desire for healthier hair and less consumption are governing your overall choices, washing with baking soda is for you.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Is there anything that baking soda CAN'T do? That's the question...

It looks good. I think the oils have definitely balanced out...and you don't smell greasy so that's always a plus. ;)

Brinn said...

that's awesome! I tried this last summer, but only made it a week and a half until I couldn't take the grease-fest any longer. Way to go!! I am planning on attempting again, i loved my curls when I was no-pooing!

Becky Foster said...

Wow Stace. You're a trooper. Only you could pull off such an experiment. Maybe one day I'll consider. Good job! Call me!