Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I pledged

Over the span of my life I have read several books that require action. I usually don't participate in the action part of books because I tell myself I will do it after I have read the entire book. I don't remember afterwards to go back through and do the activities and exercises. That's not the point, now is it? Why waste my time reading if the info is going through me? So I have started actually doing some of the things the books encourage.

Right now I am reading Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano (which I purchased at the deseret industries! Talk about a green start!) I am pledging to live a more gorgeous and green life.



The Gorgeously Green Pledge:
1.I commit to cutting my beef consumption down by 25-50%. I will prepare at least three meat-free meals a week. Meat production has a very heavy eco-impact.
2.I commit to buying organic, seasonal, and locally produced food whenever possible. I vote with my dollars and want to support sustainable producers.
3.I commit to cooking at least three meals a week at home so that I can save money, my health and the planet.
4.I commit to reducing my food waste by 50 percent by sticking to my eating plan and my shopping list and by using my leftovers.
5.I commit to growing something edible (even an herb will do!)
6.I commit to recycling my paper, plastic, glass, and cans, and to buying recycled paper products (paper towels, napkins, and toilet paper) to preserve more trees.

After reading through the list, don't you think its possible that everyone including you could follow this pledge? I think so too.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

The organic produce is less than whole sale on Wednesdays at Buy Low!!

Lindsey said...

Those are some really good ideas. Do you recommend reading that book?

Heather said...

Those are all good ideas and they seem easy enough. Where are the closest recycling centers?